2 April – One month since we left Oslo – Video clips

When we left Oslo 2 March, we had no idea that March 2018 should turn out to be the coldest one since the early 1960s. The weather has definitely challenged us, and 2 April; we are still waiting for the spring… Enjoy a few video clips showing “life on expedition in March”.

Day 4 – Just the two of us

Shelter

Ice

Fog

Planning

Life is good!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

D22 – Copenhagen! First leg done – 23 March

Copenhagen! First leg done. Sounds grand, but by another reckoning it’s 10%. 22 of 210 days:-)

On balance quite important that we got here without any strain injuries. That was identified as a main risk. The risk is not gone, but reduced since we managed the first three weeks. Yesterday’s paddle was about 32 km with average speed of 5,2 km/hr. We did not have to wait for Russia to get the currents against us. And the wind to boot.

Before we got going we understood that the nice shelter where we slept at the beach, fully equipped with knobs to hang our clothes, was actually the shelter Humlebæk’s morning bathers used to change. We got up at 0700, and the first bathers arrived at 0705. In all we had twelve visitors before we left at 1000. 11 were morning ice bathers. And the last one was the journalist/photographer from Kletten bådeclubs magazine “Søhesten”. So now we make the press:-)

We made the best of a strenuous paddle, and broke it up with a long lunch at a boat club in Vedbæk.

We finally arrived at Sixtus Battery at 1900 hrs. We were met by Henrik who gave us access to storage in the garrison there. Much appreciated! Arranged by Stein’s friend Claus. There even was a lodging option, but we were past our cancelation time for the hotel. So Henrik kindly drove us there.

Us being Stein, Erling, Erling’s daughter Nora and Ute, Nora’s friend who is visiting to bid Nora farewell before Nora moves to Tanzania.

So we were met also by Nora with her bike decorated by Danish flags, and a supply of Easter marzipan plus Ute who came straight from the airport.

Erling dropped everything he was holding on to. After a couple of minutes greetings, Erling realized that the “everything” he had let go to greet Nora, had included the Kayak. The Kayak had taken the opportunity to start an Expedition of its own.. So Erling had to jump into Stein’s boat and catch his own.

All in all a marvelous landing! Followed by a nice dinner in good company.

 

 

D21 – Denmark! – 22 March

Today we paddled from Lerhamn to Humlebæk. Denmark! We just made three countries in three weeks🙂

Today’s distance was 37,2 km with average speed 7,1 km/hr.

We had a warm and sound night’s sleep in the sauna. Torben and his son Josef came to see us off at our usual slow start at 1100. Torben is a keen sailor and knows the harbors around here as his back pocket. He recommended Humlebæk. And this update is written from the warmth of Sletten Bådeklub. Here we have enjoyed the course of the day; duck. Really good. And the restaurant is packed. So packed we ended up eating in the board room of the club. Of course our looks, attire and smell may have contributed to that solution…

Whatever, we feel very welcome and have had excellent service. Only people visiting by boat or club members can eat here. Paddling from Oslo qualified. As I write, we are even being interviewed by Peter, who is part of the clubs management for their magazine.

As we left Lerhamn we were uncertain about the day’s plans, much depended on the current in the Helsingør strait. Northward or southward? Normally it is northward and up to 9 km/hr. Today it was… Southward!! Apparently because of the abnormal weather conditions. First time this March weather has worked so well in our favor. Furthermore there was hardly any north-south shipping traffic. We crossed the shipping lane obliquely at a due south course. We had an average speed of 9 km/hr, max 12,2. (We’ll pay for this up the Russian rivers maybe).

The more tricky crossing was the busy east west ferry traffic. We got close to Hamlet and Tycho Brahe. We crossed close to their berths just as one had docked and one had left. And then the coast was clear all the way to Humlebæk.

Tomorrow we may land in Copenhagen. WP. (Weather Permitting).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

D20 – Crossing of Skälderviken – 21 March

Today we paddled 26,9 km with average speed of 5,6 km/hr.

That took us from Torekov across Skälderviken to Kullaberg naturreservat and onwards to Lerhamn. Where we were met with hospitality from locals. First and foremost Torben – chairman in the local sauna society, which is how we ended up finding lodging in a sauna at the quay! Perfect, as it will be a wet and windy night. But good conditions tomorrow when we hope to continue all the way to Denmark. We can see Denmark from here but low(!) and in the distance.

Back to today’s paddle. Torekov is a place with 900 inhabitants in the winter and 10.000 in the midst of summer. The missing 9.100 are currently in Stockholm. It’s a fashionable place. We talked with some builders working on a house that had cost 10 million to acquire and 20 million to rebuild. Our new found carpenter friend Tommy offered us access to facilities in his container barracks. Always welcome.

We postponed our start until 1200, because we were facing 5 m/s headwinds which should fall to 4 m/s at 1300. That’s a much bigger difference than it sounds.

Crossing Skälderviken took us 3 hrs and was an 18 km paddle. We were about one third across before we could see land on the other side. We had seen it the night before and we paddled on compass, but always good to see land all the same.

After our only break for the day we continued around Kullen to Lerhamn and the above mentioned warm and warming welcome.

Stein’s boat behaved well today. Yesterday’s problems were likely caused by waves breaking over the boat from behind and pulling down Stein’s spraydeck, allowing water in.

One more person to praise today: Camilla at Olympus who personally delivered a new battery to Stein’s camera to Stein’s sister Nina who we will meet in Copenhagen 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

D18 – Sidewind up to 15 kts slowed us down – 19 March

27,05 km, 5,1 km/h, 5,19 h in the boat

We left our campsite at 1000. The wind picked up, so the progress over the day was not to impressing. Sidewind up to 15 kts slowed us down.

We found another great tentsite close to the Laholm bay. 20 km crossing tomorrow, or a 40 km around the bay. We will decide when we are on the water.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

D17 – Back in tent – 18 March

34,8 km, average speed 6,8 km/h, which means 5 hrs 8 min paddling.
We left our two day rest and repair base at Apelviken camping at 1100 hrs after bidding farewell to the “support team”.
It was a good stay. Our hands are mostly healed. We have fattened up. And thanks to our new friend Jurek and his toolkit and garage access we got a good deal of maintenance out of the way.
Today, tailwinds and pleasant weather made up for the late start, and in the end we pitched our tent before sunset.
After sunset it gets cold quickly though.
Tomorrow will be a tougher day with westerly cross winds. We hope to make it to Halmstad.

D17 – Morning report – 18 March

Due to cold weather and strong winds we extended the maintance and resting day with another day, which we believe was a wise decision. In addition, we had the opportunity to spend some more time with our support team,  and also do some office work. We have also had time to coordinate with the rest of support team in Norway; Morten and Einar. Thanks to all of you !!

The advantage with a “fully supported” expedition is that you can save some time in a busy preparation phase, and catch up along the coast.

The weather forcast is promising, and we are now keen to continue our adventure. Hopefully, we will see the support team again in St Petersburg.

 

 

 

D15/16 – Maintenance days – 16/17 March

The support team has provided great meals! The days have been used to work with the boats, buying supplies and maintain ourselves.

The weather forecast for the 17 March promise – 7 degree and 12-14 knots wind.

In order to keep a high and enduring fighting spirit we have decided to stay another day, and hopefully the polar cold will leave us on Sunday.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑