A long and spectacularly breakfast watching from Dag’s terrace across Straumsundet

RSKE Y2D15 3 August 2019: Nakkevika to Tromsø. 46 km, 6.5 km/hr average speed. Left 1315, arrive 2350

A late dinner made for a late start, we bid farewell to Dag at 1315 and paddled out toward Grøtsundet in sunny weather and moderate headwinds.

As soon as we turned into Grøtsund the wind turned to tailwind and we made good progress toward our chosen lunch stop: Vågnes. There Per made the trips last cheese sandwiches.

We hadn’t paddled long after lunch before we saw the bridge across Sandessundet, the end point of the trip was in sight.

We took one last stop at the northern point of Tromsøya, before we set across Sandnessundet.

We got a reminder that it isn’t over till it’s over when we got into quite chaotic current driven waves as we went across. The water was flowing fast against us. We went to the NW side of the strait and took advantage of back eddies to make good progress.

It was almost midnight when we set the boats ashore at ALFA Fritid. That is Stein’s friend Alf Andrassen’s extremely well supplied kayak shop. Alf has kindly offered to store the boats for us until we start the next stage of the trip next year.

We had planned to just crash on the floor in the shop, but Per’s friend Dag Nilsen who received us so well in Nakkevik had driven home to Tromsø and insisted we stayed the night at his place.

We were happy to accept. Dag picked us up at about 0100 and it turned out the invitation included a three course dinner! And then a long and spectacularly breakfast watching from Dag’s terrace across Straumsundet.

A fantastic way to end this year’s stage!

2 thoughts on “A long and spectacularly breakfast watching from Dag’s terrace across Straumsundet

Add yours

  1. Ahh. So that was the end of the tour. For now.
    And at the end – a picture of a cup with a wiew, but not the famous Mummicup from last year.
    Well done!


  2. Interesting for several reasons, but paricularly one -. My father and 3 friends escaped from Norway to Sweden during WW2 in order to get to UK and join Norwegian forces there. They aquired 2 double kayaks and paddled from the Stockholm area to just outside Leningrad (Today St Petersburg). There they were approached by a Finnish MTB. The Finns shot up the kayaks with submachineguns and took aboard the 4 Norwegians. They were treated well and were sent to prison in Hamina. They stayed there for some weeks and were then sent by train back to Sweden. They found their way into British service by other means later in the war.
    I have often thought about re-enacting that Kayak tour, and therefore found your story interesting and look forward to hearing about the next leg.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: